Why Race Never Mattered to Me






If you love God, you love people. If you love people, you love God. Its as simple as that!!! 


Why Race Never Mattered To Me

To make it plain: There are some people, who don't look like me, that have done more for me than people who do!!! Tony is one of those people. 

I first met Tony, who at the time was the Director of Counseling and Health Services at Saginaw Valley State University while doing my internship. He was the first white man that demonstrated genuine care & concern toward me. A student-athlete at the time, he helped me discover other gifts and talents I had outside of sports. He taught me the Macro side of Social Work. Like everywhere I have ever been, I was the only black guy working in his office but I never felt like an outcast around Tony. Tony and Jennifer Ordway showed me and every other student in that office love on a consistent basis. They never treated me like an intern. They treated me like a respected colleague and co-worker. 

My experiences throughout life and prior to arriving to college is what helped me understand how special Tony was. When I met Tony, he had no idea what my experiences with white people were like. After meeting Tony, he still has no idea of what my experiences with white people are like. But…all he needs to know is that he is truly one of a kind. Thank God for Tony. It is because of him and the relationship we had that helps me look past those who don't treat or view me as equal. Throughout life, as a kid and now in my young adult life, some white people still look down on me. When I walk my dog (King), the white people in my neighborhood hit the automatic lock on there cars from inside there homes as we walk by or they close there garage. White ladies clench their purse as we both head into department stores and hit the lock on there car 10 times to make sure I know they have locked the door. Sad I know. But I laugh. I smile, say hello and go about my business. Regardless of how they act, I control how I act. I still have to love them anyway. I finally realized that one never truly arrives. How can you? Just when you think things are goin well, Police officers still randomly pull me over (driving while black) among other things. These types of occurrences serves as reminders. But each and everyday I reflect on one person in particular that showed me different. Tony. Tony allows me to give these type of people a pass. My heart is filled with joy instead of hate. I thank God for knowing Tony, a man with a heart of gold, that like me, loves people, loves his wife, loves his boys and loves his family. 

Although race never mattered to me, as you can see, I am not exempt from the negative effects of race relationships. If I didn't share it, trust me, you would never know. Why? Because instead of complaining, I simply do what I can to help improve conditions for all people, to educate all races on how to love one another (Overcoming the Disconnect Workshop - for educators only).

In my new book, Dumb Athlete which hit the Amazon Top 100 Best Selling Paid Books (#91) I talk more in-depth about Tony (Ch. 7) and others who helped me on my journey. Without those who helped me along the way, where would I be? If you have kids, work in a school, are part of a sports team whether you play, coach or volunteer, or actively participates in ministry, the book is a must read. Buy a 100 copies, share with at-risk youth before they go down the wrong path. Let them know its possible to overcome the rigors of life. 

Don't let the foolishness of a few ruin the many great people that exist.

For access to my speaking calendar and updates on when I will be speaking in your area download my mobile app

To sign-up for my newsletter click here

To order a copy of my new book click here




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

#UrbanYoungProfessional - Street Smart * Book Smarts * Common Sense

Chamillionaire: How He Could Afford That ‘NBA Finals’ Courtside Seat And Much More!!!

Why I Became An Investor